Hi! I am Gabi Plumm, and I’m a copy editor.
I am a member of the Institute of Professional Editors of Australia, the premium organisation for qualified editors in Australia.
I studied Creative Writing for four years at Griffiths University only to discover I was better at editing. I am experienced in editing:
- Short stories
- Website text
- School year books
I may be an editor, but as a writer I love to help you, the author write better. In that respect I am then also a Writing Coach.
Many authors have wonderful ideas, wonderful stories to tell but miss out on the vital ingredients that go into crafting that story, and by that I mean the following points:
- Character development: Who, What, Where, How, When and Why
- do you know who your people are
- What they think
- Where they came from
- How they speak
- What they believe
- Where they live
- When they are living in your story
- Why they do what they do
- What are their greatest failings?
- How does it start
- Have you got a great hook
- What happens after that
- Who are your protagonists
- Your antagonists
- And the winner is…?
- Do you know the difference between ‘show and tell?’ Much is written on how to do this and much is therefore misunderstood. Have a read of Lee Child’s thoughts on Show don’t Tell and make up your own mind, but remember the telling has to be good, it has to paint the picture.
- Do you use hundreds of adjectives and adverbs? If not, why not? Have you read Stephen King’s book on Writing? If not, have a gander, at least at the chapter on Adverbs — you will never use another adverb again
- This is just the beginning. Have a little visit to my Editing Services page and see what it involves and then, let’s talk
- Contact me here
- Coffee and a natter, a Skype conference, whatever works for you will probably work for me too.